Back to Tech Boards
Date: 5/09/02 (Revision of 11/15/85)
Policy and Operating
The purpose of a Spring Wheat Quality Council
is to provide an organization to evaluate the quality of spring wheat and
durum wheat varieties and experimentals that may be grown in the traditional
growing regions of the United States. The Council also shall be responsible
to establish other activities as requested by the membership.
The Spring Wheat Quality Council operates
under the direction and supervision of the Wheat Quality Council (WQC).
- The membership of the Spring Wheat Quality
Council will consists of members of the WQC.
- The Technical Board shall be the
administrative unit responsible for managing the functions of the
- The Technical Board shall consist of five
members elected from the membership and shall hold office for a term of
- Vacancies that occur during the term of
office of the members of the Technical Board shall be filled by
nomination and majority vote of the remaining members of the board. The
appointee serves only the unexpired term of the vacancy
- No member of the board may serve more than
two continuous full three-year terms.
- Officers of the Technical Board shall
consist of a chair, vice-chair, and a secretary.
- The chair may not serve more than two
- The vice-chair and secretary may not serve
more than three consecutive years.
- The vice-chair generally replaces the
chair at the conclusion of the chair’s term.
- Officers shall be elected annually at the
annual meeting of the Council by nomination and majority vote.
- Any eligible member may be reelected after
being out of office for one year.
- If a vacancy of an officer of the
Technical Board occurs, the remaining members of the board shall
nominate and select the replacement by majority vote from their group.
- Exceptions to the above may be granted if
voted on by Technical Board and the Executive Vice President.
Duties of the Technical Board
- The chair shall be responsible to
establish a meeting place and preside at all meetings of the Technical
Board and Wheat Quality Council (selected elements of the General
- The vice-chair shall preside at meetings
in absence of the chair and assume such duties as may be assigned by the
chair of the Technical Board.
- The secretary shall be responsible for
taking minutes of the Technical Board meetings.
- The Technical Board will direct the
Executive Vice President of the WQC on disbursement of funds.
- The chair shall be responsible for
communicating budget needs to the Executive Vice President.
- The Technical Board is responsible for
presenting budget updates to the general membership at the annual
- The Technical Board members shall serve
- Certain paid expenses may be authorized
for some technical board functions.
Spring Wheat Quality
Advisory and Evaluation Committee
A technical committee entitled “Spring Wheat
Quality Advisory and Evaluation Committee” shall be established and consist
of the five technical board members and key members working on spring wheat.
Those members should include, but are not limited to:
- The project leader of the USDA Spring
Wheat Quality Laboratory in Fargo, ND.
- The seed stocks project leader in the
Plant Sciences Department at NDSU
- Spring Wheat/Durum Breeders at NDSU, SDSU,
- Small Grains Extension agronomist for
Evaluation and Responsibilities
- Establish procedures required for the grow
out, handling, evaluation and reporting
- of the program.
- Selection of the experimental varieties
and the check variety.
- Designating samples and locations to fit
within allowed budget.
- The milling of the experimental and check
- Preparing data on the milling
- Distribution of samples to cooperators
(member companies willing to conduct testing and baking evaluations on
the samples prepared)
- Preparation of a quality report.
- Each member entity shall have the
privilege of submitting two experimental varieties each year for
evaluation. If slots are available by some members not submitting the
full allotment, other members may submit more than two.
- The annual meeting of the Spring Wheat
Technical Board shall coincide with the annual meeting of the WQC. If
for some reason the WQC annual meeting is not held, it shall be the duty
of the Technical Board chair to establish an annual meeting time and
- The purpose of the meeting shall be to
discuss the results of the cooperators testing program, elect board
members and carry on other business as required by the Council.
- Other meetings determined to be necessary
may be established by the Technical Board.
Finances and Budget
- The finances required to meet the
operating expenses of the council shall be designated by the Executive
Board of the Wheat Quality Council.
- The budget shall be presented for
membership approval at the annual meeting.
- Amendments to the policy and operation
procedure of the Spring Wheat Quality Council can be made by two-thirds
vote of the council members.
- The proposed changes must be submitted in
writing and must be in the hands of the membership two weeks prior to
voting on the change.